About Central Oregon Veterans Outreach
Find out about the history of Central Oregon Veterans Outreach.
- In 2005, Central Oregon Veterans Outreach (COVO) began with a vision from members of Vietnam Veterans of America Chapter #820 in Bend, Oregon. Members of the VVA Chapter #820 had begun interacting with homeless Veterans living on the streets or in camps in the Central Oregon area. Their first focus was to provide these homeless Veterans with food, clothing, sustenance items, survival gear, etc. This action has matured into what is now our Homeless Outreach Program which includes homeless non-veterans. The community has provided encouragement and support of every imaginable sort and this program continues to grow.
- In keeping with the mission of COVO to be an advocate for Veterans of all generations in Central Oregon, a particular focus has been on getting homeless, or at-risk Veterans, off the streets, finding them jobs, assisting them with their VA pensions/compensation and removing barriers that put them in the position of being homeless.
- Currently, we support numerous Veterans and their families by providing a wide variety of housing alternatives, as well as job search preparedness and placement assistance. COVO continues to innovate and grow. Each new opportunity provides us with an increasing array of support from which Veterans and their families can choose to better the quality of their lives.
Serve, Assist and Create support for the veterans of Central Oregon.
Aid Central Oregon houseless, jobless and disadvantaged military veterans as well as non-veteran community members by:
- Establishing and operating a centrally accessible community-friendly outreach center and one- stop venue to provide day-to-day necessities.
- Providing emergency shelter and transitional housing.
- Providing permanent low-income housing.
- Developing, sponsoring and/or managing programs to help with housing placement, transportation, communication, training, job search, case management and access to health services.
Respect, Support and Advocacy: Note: these words are important and reflect the management mind-set of the organization. Central Oregon Veterans Outreach’s excellent community reputation is built around this philosophy.