Veteran Services at COVO

If you’re a Veteran looking for information of services in the Central Oregon area, Central Oregon Veterans Outreach (COVO) is a great first stop. We provide in-depth information and referral to Veteran services throughout Central Oregon. We also offer Information and Referral services to community programs, available to any and all in need.

Our focus is on Veterans who needs connections within the community to people and agencies who understand and respect the impact military service has on Vets and their families. But because Veterans also serve their community, COVO’s Homeless Outreach Program serves the non-Veteran homeless with basic needs items and referral to community services as well.

Veteran Housing

COVO is a direct connection for several grant-funded housing programs, as well as a partner facilitator for programs ranging from Section 8 to HUD/VASH in the Deschutes, Crook and Jefferson county locations. The SSVF program offers help to Central Oregon Veterans facing eviction or homelessness to find housing that’s right for them. These services can include outreach, case management, assistance in obtaining VA benefits, and help in accessing mainstream benefits. Referrals to additional services such as temporary financial assistance with rent, utility, and child care expenses can also occur.

COVO owns housing in Bend, Prineville, Madras and Lapine as part of the Housing for Heroes program.

Health Care for Homeless Veterans (HCHV)

The central goal of the HCHV program is to reduce homelessness among Veterans by reaching out to those who are the most vulnerable and connecting them with support and rehabilitative services. These services often duplicate the services provided under the SSVF program.

Dental Program

COVO facilitates the Dental Van program, a semi-regular event in the COVO parking lot, in conjunction with Medical Teams International.

Veteran Employment

COVO works closely with WorkSource Oregon to help our Veterans find jobs which recognize the unique skills that a military vet brings to the table.

Paul Messett, is your direct connection at WorkSource Oregon in Bend. He works Mondays, Wednesday mornings and Fridays at the Bend WorkSource branch, reachable at 541-388-6455. You can also try the Redmond office, for Tuesdays, Thursdays and Wednesday afternoons: 541-548-8196 x 326. He is connected with employers across the state with a primary focus on Veterans and military spouses.

Veteran Financial Assistance

Occasionally our Veterans fall into financial situations that are less than ideal. In those cases, there are agencies and programs which can provide help on a case-by-case basis.

The local chapters of Band of Brothers can sometimes assist. Find the appropriate chapter on their website.

The Oregon VA has a one-time assistance program, which can be used in emergency situations. It is a competitive program and requires an application. Find out more here: Select the FINANCIAL ASSISTANCE tab.

Veteran Outreach

For Veterans and others who find themselves in need of food, clothing, camping supplies, medical equipment and other items necessary to basic living, the Outreach program provides basic these to those in need, both at our Outreach Center and in the camps.

Veterans Service Officer (VSO)

Whether you’re a disabled Vet looking for information on available programs, a military Veteran who has never applied for services, or anywhere in between, the VSO – or Veterans Service Officer – is available through the Deschutes Veteran Service office. Reach them directly at 541-385-3214 here in Deschutes County.

The Deschutes County VSO also sees people in Redmond and LaPine on an appointment only basis, as follows:


Location: City Hall, unless directed otherwise during appointment setup.
The 2nd and LAST Thursday of each month.


Location: LaPine State offices, unless directed otherwise during appointment setup.
1st and 3rd Tuesday of each month.

For either of these locations, call 541-385-3214 to make an appointment. Leave a message and someone will get back to you.

As always, your best service occurs when you contact the VSO in the county in which you reside. If you need a connection for the VSO in Crook County dial 541-447-5304 or in Jefferson County, 541-475-5228, or visit their respective websites by selecting the county at the ODVA website office locator.

VA Medical Services

The Bend VA clinic – also known as a Community Based Outreach Clinic (CBOC) is at 2650 NE Courtney Drive Bend, OR. Although part of the Portland VA Region, the Bend Veterans clinic is reached directly at 541-647-5200.

Veteran Crisis and Support Services

Military Veterans bring a wide swath of experiences to daily life. Some of those experiences can be traumatic and are often best understood by other comrades in arms. COVO can help with direct referrals to agencies such as the Central Oregon Vet Center at 541-749-2112. The Vet Center provides small-group sessions with other combat Vets, among other services.

The National Guard Center support is at 541-322-9797

For Vets in crisis, the National Veterans Crisis Line is 800-273-8255. Press 1.

We are united in the fight against Veteran suicide.